Apr 11, 2008

Still at it...


I can still hear my mom saying, "YOU are the one that chooses to do this to yourself." Yeah, it sounds like something you'd say to someone with an addiction problem - alcohol, smoking, drugs. What she is referring to is, my personal addiction of extracurriculars

From yoga class to philanthropic events, ballet to pool, volleyball and softball...my evenings are absolutely crazy.

This is something I've picked up from junior high, when I was taking piano at the Pasadena Conservatory of Music and ballet at Pasadena Civic Ballet but wanted so badly to just play SPORTS with my friends from school. So, that's when it began, the days of playing volleyball with my leotard and tights underneath so that my mom could throw me in her giant diesel Mercedes and drive me across town for 3 hours of ballet.

In high school, I focused only on sports and "broke up" with dance. I played volleyball, basketball, and swim, but I did volleyball year round on a club team and continued my role on student council. You get the point...I've always done a million things...and I think it was only one quarter of my college life that I spent doing NOTHING but school, of course that semester my 3.0 self got a 3.9 and made Dean's List.

But that was just too little for me, and of course picked up 2 minors, joined 3 different dance organizations, internships, part time jobs, etc.

It's in my nature. What can I say?

So here I am, still doing the same crazy juggling routine of different activities, wondering in the back of my mind, will I ever stop?

I hope I don't become a crazy mom that makes her kids do horse back riding, soccer, etc... but then again it might just run in their blood.

But is that such a bad addiction? I guess, what I need to focus on is stopping every once in a while and just smelling the roses.

3 comments:

Herding Cats said...

It could be worse. I'm addicted to doing nothing....too bad life won't let me!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

nicole antoinette said...

I'd like to be more like you, actually. I'm wonderful at sitting around and doing nothing though, haha!